Monday, September 20, 2010

One Month Down

Exactly one month ago today I was nervously, excitedly, and anxiously moving in to Foster Harper 9. Ohhhhhh..Foster Harper 9, what a month it's been! I've witnessed many drunken nights, thirsty thursdays, and frat party after affects; my hall certainly knows how to have a good time. At times, I've felt very alone in this hall...left out almost, but as I sit here a month after moving in, I've come to love the girls and realize how many true friendships I'll have after this year.

Moving in early as a CM was definitely great. I didn't have to mess with the rush and frantic waits for the elevators, I met some of the great RAs that work in my building, and I got to just settle in by myself before the chaos of welcome week set in. There were a few downfalls, however. Just yesterday I discovered a lot of the girls on my floor took caution in talking to be because of my title. How crazy is that?! I mean, I understand...they wanted to have fun and thought I would turn them in or something crazy. Definitely not the case though... I'm not an RA, I have no power whatsoever. I'm glad I've cleared that up with a few of the girls, though.

Harper 9. Where do I even begin? This month has been a roller coaster with this floor, but it's proving to turn the corner in a better direction as time moves on. When the floor first moved in, it was exciting, and I could tell I was going to love this place immediately. My neighbors across the hall are absolute sweethearts. Allie and Jenny always greet me as I come in and out, check in on my day, and ask about what's new and going on. I can't tell you how much this has meant to me. Molly and Meghan, my neighbors, are the life of the party. I always hear them joking around, laughing, beating each other up, or just jamming out to loud music. More on those four later. The other girls on my floor are nice too, but haven't been as personal. Let's just put it this way, my floor is hot. ;] We have lots of girls who know how to dress up and rock a pair of heels for a great night out. For those of you who know me, you'd say it sounds like I'd fit right in, right? Heel obsessed, love to dress up...hello? Not quite the case. For the first couple weeks I sat in my room and watched all the girls dress up together, rock out and dance together, take pictures, and head out on the town. I sat here. Not because I didn't want to go, or that I was too shy to join in, but because I really didn't have a group like that. My roommate is extremely close with her high school friends, so she normally goes out with them. I have high school friends here too, but I certainly don't dress up and hit the town with them. I don't know, the first couple weeks I tried to get my footing here on campus, but I also feel I missed out on some nighttime fun. That could be for the better or worse. Where I stand now is that I need to find a group to go out with; I want to find a "crew" while still branching out and making new friends. This time next month, I'll have stories to tell and pictures to post. Time to have fun :]

After being on campus and living the college life for one month, I already feel that I'm learning more about myself. My career exploratory class has played a large role in that, but so has living on my own, out of Anderson and away from my family. There truly is something about college. Being on your own, fending for yourself, deciding when to eat and sleep and taking total responsibility is completely empowering. I feel as though I've been here forever; I'm so comfortable in my surroundings and routine. IU is beyond huge and I love it. Sure my 15-20 minute walk to my first class isn't always fun, but as the seasons change, it's proving to be a peaceful and beautiful highlight of my day. Being on a campus this big is definitely not for everyone, but I feel it's the perfect fit. There's always somewhere to go and something to do, constant entertainment when I find myself bored and sitting in my room. My classes are a great mix of large and small. What else can you expect from a big ten school? To some, it may be scary, overwhelming, or just too much altogether, but I can't say it enough...I love IU.

Happy one month-iversary to me. This month has been one of the greatest of my life, and it's only going to get better. Here's hoping the months to come will outdo the previous, making it harder to leave Bloomington with each second I stay here. I love my family, and I love spending time with them, but there truly is something about this place that makes it my new home. Harper 9 is my new home, and these girls are my new family. Awhh...how storybook is that? ;]

No comments:

Post a Comment