Tuesday, February 8, 2011

IUDM: Only the Beginning


"From the outside looking in, you can never understand it, and from the inside looking out, you can never explain it."

I'm not sure who to credit for the above mentioned quote, but I do know that there aren't better words to even attempt explaining the experience called Indiana University Dance Marathon. As I have quickly learned, most students will never understand IUDM...I can't say I blame them. At the first mention of a 36 hour dance marathon, where students go without sleep, sitting, and eventually, sanity, I would doubt someone's reasoning for participating, too. It's so much more than that, though. When trying to explain it, I keep finding myself at a loss for words. It's almost painful how much you WANT to be able to share your experience.

In my interview for the Riley Development committee a few weeks back, I was asked just that. "Watch this video and try to explain what IUDM means to you. Try to summarize how you feel after watching this." The video was a montage of this year's dance marathon, and I'm sure I looked like a complete idiot as I sat there, staring at the laptop screen. Accompanied to music, the video highlights all of the great moments that make up the true dance marathon experience. I'll post it below...


"IU Dance Marathon was created 21 years ago with the goal of providing hope for children of Riley Hospital by generating funds for the Ryan White Infectious Disease Center. We donate money to support the Hospital’s efforts to treat all its patients, regardless of financial concerns. To date IUDM has raised over $10 million for the children at Riley Hospital. Indiana University Dance Marathon is run entirely by students who unselfishly give their time and dedication to ensure the success of the organization. At the heart of IUDM are 500 student committee members who work year round to fundraise, hold events for the Riley families, and plan the marathon. The hard work culminates in a 36 hour marathon every fall. During the marathon weekend 850 dancers choose to remain awake and standing for 36 hours in honor of those children who are unable to. Dance Marathon is truly a life changing experience that provides an environment thriving on faith in each other, hope for the future, and inspiration to achieve. It will stretch the limits of our mind, body, and spirit to launch the most humanly diverse and personally consuming experience at Indiana University. The success of IUDM relies on students, alumni, family members, community members, corporate sponsors, Indiana University, and Riley families."

More to come on my Riley D interview/experience. :]

No comments:

Post a Comment